Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 6


Today, we were given the option to wake up between 8-9 for breakfast or sleep in and just go to lunch instead. My roommate and I had all the intentions of going to breakfast, but when our alarms went off, we couldn't get ourselves out of bed. On the plus side, we got a solid 10+ hours of sleep.  

After lunch, we hung out until we had to get ready for our game. When the time came, we got our uniforms. I was given the number 10, which I was pleased with. We headed to our pre game meeting and then we were off to the game.  

The game fields were at the same place we trained. After we warmed up, the starters lined up to go on the field for the playing of the national anthem. I didn't start, so I was on the sideline.  Still, it was such a great feeling listening to our national anthem and realizing I'm here representing our country. After the national anthem, the game kicked off.   On the bench, we stayed involved in the game by cheering everybody on.  It was a bit difficult for us to adjust to Norway's style of play. Norway didn't pressure very high at the beginning and they were very flat. Despite being the better team, it was 0-0 at half.  

I started  and played the whole second half.  It was my first time playing an international game for the US, so needless to say I was very nervous! In the second half, we came out stronger and had a lot more opportunities. We were winning 1-0 in the 89:59 minute with no stoppage when Norway scored. It was only their second or third shot of the whole game. It was one of those ties that felt like a loss. We should have won, but we just didn't put away enough opportunities.  

After the game, I got to meet the parents of two girls I know who play on the Netherlands u-20 team.  I met the girls on a trip with the ODP Region II Team a few years ago.  I also got to see one of my former regional coaches too!   Overall, even though we only came out with a tie, it was an amazing first game experience for me.

We were treated to Luigi's after the game, which is a good Spanish restaurant. They served us salad, pizza, pasta, and ice cream. Then we headed back to the hotel and were done for the night.

When I got back I read an email from Paula Wilkins (my college coach to-be).  She told me I needed to spice up my blog... I'm trying here.

I also watched some soccer and looked at the snapshots my mom sent me of my dog, Wilma.  I miss Wilma the most and I can't wait to see her and her cute little bulldog face when I get back!! After a very eventful day, I went to bed, unfortunately without Benadryl this time.

1 comment:

  1. ust want to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clarity in your post is just great and i can assume you're an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

    Also visit my web Blog;Preetech3